LL-L "Etymology" 2008.05.21 (03) [E]

Wed May 21 21:59:16 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 May 2008 - Volume 03

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.05.21 (01) [E/German]

from heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

jonny  sent in an old glossary
<jonny.meibohm at arcor.de<http://webmail.tiscali.co.uk/cp/ps/Mail/MsgBody?d=tiscali.co.uk&contentSeed=30d10&u=heatherrendall&pct=56d16&l=en#>

Subject: LL-L "Lexicon"

Very Fascinating!!!

The two words that immediately leap out at me are

Miest = Nebel  which  of course gave us English 'Mist'

but even more so:-

*Beddels. Biddels.* Eine gewisse Maasse auf einem Acker, welches man zu
bearbeiten,zu pflügen,    zu Mähen sich vorsetzt.[daily task]

which has to be in some way related to 'bedripp' - a word not in use anymore
but I keep coming across it in the medieval documents our heritage group are
translating / transcribing

Bedripp was ' a day's labour' owed to a feudal lord

Keep them coming Jonny!

Heather

 We have a 1730 document in which the writer refers to the timber on his
land as ' runnels, storers and saplings'. I ahve asked about the word'
runnels' in this context and no-one seems to have heard of it - yet  A/S
'rhuna'  meant timber ! So a now lost A/s word.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks for the list of words, Jonny.

I am not sure if all of the words go back to Frisian. Some can be found in
other dialects as well. As you suggested, the quality of the scholarship may
be questionable.

For instance, there is *Mist* 'mist' in western dialects and the more
widespread *mistig* 'misty'.

*Bleck* ~ *Blick* for 'parcel of land' or '(garden) bed' is also widely
used.

*Dwalen*: common today being *dwallen* 'to fool around', *dwallerig*'silly',
*dwallern* 'to talk nonsense', *dwallerwatsch* 'silly', 'weird',
'nonsensical'; cf. Old Saxon *dwalôn* 'to behave silly', 'to dawdle'.

*Escher ~ Ascher* 'spade (originally made from ash wood)'; cf. *Esch* 'ash
tree'; 'community land'

*Folgedach* (= *Folgedag* "following day") 'day of death'; cf. Modern
LS *folgen,
*originally 'to follow', but in most dialects specialized as 'to follow a
casket', 'to participate in a funeral'

*Hamm*; cf. Old Saxon *ham* 'meadow cove', 'grazing land' >
*Hammaburg*'Hamburg', and several other place names as well as
cognates in other
Germanic languages