LL-L "Etymology" 2008.05.21 (04) [E]

Thu May 22 00:54:09 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 21 May 2008 - Volume 04

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.05.21 (03) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks for the list of words, Jonny.

I am not sure if all of the words go back to Frisian. Some can be found in
other dialects as well. As you suggested, the quality of the scholarship may
be questionable.

For instance, there is *Mist* 'mist' in western dialects and the more
widespread *mistig* 'misty'.

Which is also Dutch and English as noted. WF has "mist" as well.
Seems like a coastal word...

*Bleck* ~ *Blick* for 'parcel of land' or '(garden) bed' is also widely
used.

We have "blik(je)" or "blyk" in WF. It is from "bleek" (bleak, verb Dutch
bleken =to bleach), because linnen was dried and bleached in the sun
on parcels of grass around the house. In Dutch "bleek" was used for this as
well, but is now old-fashioned.

*Dwalen*: common today being *dwallen* 'to fool around', *dwallerig*'silly',
*dwallern* 'to talk nonsense', *dwallerwatsch* 'silly', 'weird',
'nonsensical'; cf. Old Saxon *dwalôn* 'to behave silly', 'to dawdle'.

Dutch dwalen as well. WF has "dwale" (which I think might be a loan) and the
(related?) dwylje.Related to English "to dwell", IIRC?

*Escher ~ Ascher* 'spade (originally made from ash wood)'; cf. *Esch* 'ash
tree'; 'community land'

Older Dutch "esch" as well, WF esk, I think. [don't use it very much]

*Folgedach* (= *Folgedag* "following day") 'day of death'; cf. Modern
LS *folgen,
*originally 'to follow', but in most dialects specialized as 'to follow a
casket', 'to participate in a funeral'

Not known to me.

*Hamm*; cf. Old Saxon *ham* 'meadow cove', 'grazing land' >
*Hammaburg*'Hamburg', and several other place names as well as
cognates in other
Germanic languages

In place names only, also in non-Frisian areas.

regards,
Henno Brandsma