LL-L "Songs" 2008.05.27 (03) [E]

Tue May 27 17:25:26 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 27 May 2008 - Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Songs

Dear Lowlanders,

As promised a few days ago, I have posted the Basque song of welcome with
translations on my wall of our Gallery (
http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn.php):

English: http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_agur-en.php
German: http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_agur-de.php
Low Saxon: http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_agur-nds.php

Sheet music: http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_agur_music.php

There are a MIDI sound file, an MP3 sound file of the Oldarra Men's Choir's
rendition, and a video recording of one of the Kelly Family's concerts in
Germany.

You will notice differences in the pronunciation of the Basque lyrics.
Basque has many dialects belonging to seven groups. Being based in Spain,
the Kelly Family uses a generalized pronunciation of the western groups
(Biscayan, Guipuzgoan and Western High Navarrese: *j* [x], *g* [ɣ] ([G]).
Being based in Biarritz, France, the Oldarra Choir uses a generalized
eastern pronunciation (Eastern High Navarrese, Low Navarrese, Labourdin,
Souletin, Roncalais): *j* [j], *g* [g]. (Souletin and Roncalais: *u* [y].)
This should give you a fair guide for choices in case you want to sing the
Basque text.

The German and Low Saxon versions come with IPA transcriptions.

Enjoy (if this is the appropriate word)!