LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.11.10 (01) [E]

Mon Nov 10 17:11:03 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 November 2008 - Volume 01

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.11.09 (01) [E]

from Heather Rendall heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Jonny asked about noises for calling animals

We use both "Cuk Cuk Cuk!" and "Chookie Chookie Chookie!" to call our hens.
The latter is more attributed to the hens themselves who are often referred
to as Chookie / Chukie/ Tchuky  - as it is rarely written I doubt whether
there is any universally agreed spelling for it. A well known brand of ready
prepared roasting chickens has adopted the name as Chukie Chickens; I see it
in my mind's eye with a double 'oo' Chookie.

Cuk  could be Cuck or Cook or Kuck  ; it certainly sounds like 'cook' and
has to be imitative.

ODEE gives the word 'chicken' as pretty univeral from PIE  *keuk...... which
also could be an acceptable spelling! So nothing much changes in the hen
world! - except in Platt with Jonny's Tikka Tikka.     Is this just a
variant on Ch/Tch/

The word 'cluck' is about as universal as 'chicken' going back to PIE
*klokj-  even Latin had glocire ! It means the noise of broody rather than
ordinary hens

The word 'cackle' is the noise that ordinary hens make but interestingly is
not known in Old English though it is thought to be common PG.

As for 'chuck' it is a dialect version of 'chick' from 'chicken' and thanks
to Coronation Street ( a long running soap opera) known widespread in the UK
as a term of endearment: " Hallo, chuck!" being the northern equivalent of
Londoners' "Hallo duck (or ducky or even ducks)" and otherwise "Hallo, dear
( or dearie)!"

If the French can use cabbages are a term of endearment I don't see anything
strange in using fowl / poultry? :-)

Heather