LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.23 (03) [E]

Sun Nov 23 16:34:41 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 23 November 2008 - Volume 03

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L Etymology" 2008.11.22 (05) [E]

Beste Lüüd,

about _Quiddje_ etc. some more ideas:

*(Köbler)*

IE: 'gÝet' reden, sprechen (speak)

OHG: 'kwedan', 'kwitilon' (speak etc.)

OS: 'kwith-ian' wehklagen, lamentieren (to moan); 'kwid-i', 'quid-i', Rede,
Wort (speech); 'gelpkwid-i' laut, prahlerisch reden (??) (~to boast)

*(Schiller/Lübben)*

MLS: 'quit' Rede, Gespräch (speech)

*Grimm* even sees a possibel connection to D/MLS 'wed' Vertrag, [mdl.]
Abmachung (contract).

So there originally might have been a noun like 'kwit-ier', in its meaning
close to 'Geelsnacker' (in original meaning close to 'bouncer', today
preferably used to denote a non-Low Saxon speaker), and thus it isn't a
diminutive. Before I ever had got any opportunity to see the written
'Quiddje' I'd always thought it should be 'Quittje*r*', and I've heard and
am using it myself also as 'Hough-Düütsch-Quittje*r*' (sb. who speaks High
German).

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Here's another Low Saxon word of likely Dutch origin: *Bahntje* ~ *Baantje*(
*baantje*) [ˈbɒːnʨe] 'employment', 'job', 'profession', 'career (track)'.
The Dutch word is *baantje* [ˈbaːntje], a diminutive form of *baan* 'track'
(also Low Saxon). (In other dialects the word is *Profeschoon* [profɛˈʃoːn]
~ [profɛˈʃoˑʊn].)

Note that this word has the characteristic Dutch epenthetic *-t-* between *
-n* and the suffix *-je* (as does *Bontje* [ˈbɔnʨe] 'piece of candy'
mentioned earlier): *-n-t-je*. (The labial equivalent is *-m-p-je*.)

By the way, *Bontje* became *Bontschi* ~ *Bonschi* [ˈbɔnʧi] ~ [ˈbɔnʃi] in
Hamburg Missingsch. In Standard German it is *Bonbon*, for which we had the
pronunciation *Bombong* [bɔmˈbɔŋ].