LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.23 (04) [E/LS]

Mon Nov 24 00:54:54 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 23 November 2008 - Volume 04

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.11.23 (03) [E]

Master R.,

once more and again - you sometimes seem to feel hurt by clearly objectively
done investigations. I'm convinced like you that you're absolutely on the
right side if you tell us:

Here's another Low Saxon word of likely Dutch origin: *Bahntje* ~ *Baantje*(
*baantje*) [ˈbɒːnʨe] 'employment', 'job', 'profession', 'career (track)'.
The Dutch word is *baantje* [ˈbaːntje], a diminutive form of *baan* 'track'
(also Low Saxon). (In other dialects the word is *Profeschoon* [profɛˈʃoːn]
~ [profɛˈʃoˑʊn].)

Note that this word has the characteristic Dutch epenthetic *-t-* between *
-n* and the suffix *-je* (as does *Bontje* [ˈbɔnʨe] 'piece of candy'
mentioned earlier): *-n-t-je*. (The labial equivalent is *-m-p-je*.)

By the way, *Bontje* became *Bontschi* ~ *Bonschi* [ˈbɔnʧi] ~ [ˈbɔnʃi] in
Hamburg Missingsch. In Standard German it is *Bonbon*, for which we had the
pronunciation *Bombong* [bɔmˈbɔŋ].

Didn't you mention this, correctly as 'mosttimes', just two days ago?

And I'm convinced like you are: there's a great amount of Dutch vocabulary
in our Lower-Elbe-dialect of Low-Saxon, as I've pointed out again and again
in the LL-L-past. I'm sure that our really beloved 'genius' Marcus with his
damned WIKI-behaviour and half-hearted google-di-goog yet isn't familiar
enough with LS to be a judge for YOUR knowledge and engagement in LS!
Undoubtful Dutch influence here, regionally, started in the 11. eeuw and
didn't cease until today. Maybe this ran different in Kranenburg, 'oppe
Geest' ;-)...

Mann - Diin swiigsaom' Ebeerigkeyt gayt mii mennigmol aorig opp den'n Senkel
;-)!!! Denn schimpp' doch touminnst' maol!

Allerbest; houl Dy monter!

Jonny Meibohm