LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.08 (01) [E]

Wed Oct 8 13:39:23 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 08 October 2008 - Volume 01

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.10.07 (01) [E]

from Heather heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Jonny asked about The Muspilli

Your wish is my command ! Though whether I am allowed to introduce Bavarian
sources to this forum remains to be seen! If the following is mere blank
page, then be assured that the Great Kahuna has seen fit to censor the
text!  The text was found by googling for Muspilli which saved me writing it
up from my Althochdeutsches Lesebuch!

*Muspilli*
*9. Jahrhundert bairisch
*
...sin tac piqueme,         daz er touuan scal.
uuanta sar so sih diu sela         in den sind arheuit,
enti si den lihhamun         likkan lazzit,
so quimit ein heri         fona himilzungalon,
daz andar fona pehhe:         dar pagant siu umpi.

[Isn't that just beautiful! Da pagant siu umpi! We kind of adopted that
phrase at college and if a discussion got out of hand and developed into a
loud argument, we would intone "Da pagant siu umpi!" "Then they fought"]

This is my favourite bit

50

so daz Eliases pluot         in erda kitriufit,
so inprinnant die perga,         poum ni kistentit
enihc in erdu,         aha artruknent,
muor varsuuilhit sih,         suilizot lougiu der himil,
mano uallit,         prinnit mittilagart,

55

sten ni kistentit,         uerit denne stuatago in lant,
uerit mit diu uuiru         uiriho uuison:
dar ni mac denne mak andremo         helfan uora demo muspille.

*
Aus: Niemeyer Verlag Althochdeutsches Lesebuch
Handschrift: München Bayerische Staatsbibliothek clm 14098
S.61r,119v,120rv,121rv*

I'll leave the translation to others! I get as far as

... Sein Tag käme, dass er sterben soll

and then I dry up immediately until we get to ..... Elijah's blood dripping
onto the earth so that the mountains burst into flame, no tree on earth was
( left?) standing, the rivers flooded, the moors were scorched and the
heavens smouldered in flames, the moon ?fell and Middle Earth burnt ......

Right out of Lord of the Rings but then not surprisingly as Tolkien was an
expert in Germanic literature.

Heather

PS Do you think this is why the Celts were afraid that the sky might one day
fall on their heads????

----------

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: re Muspilli

from Heather  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

I've just found this translation on Wikipedia but I'm not sure I'd
agree with the sea being swallowed: I have muor as Moor /Sumpf

The Antichrist stands with the old fiend,
With the Satan, whom he will ruin:
On the battlefield, he falls wounded
And in battle without victory
But many men of God ween
That Elijah will be wounded in that battle,
When the blood of Elijah drips onto the soil
The mountains will burn, no tree will stand,
Not any on earth, water dries up,
Sea is swallowed, flaming burn the heavens,
Moon falls, Midgard burns

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Ah lēwes! Forhte niomēr, Heita, liopa inti minnasama friuntin, pluma untar
demo farno!

I woke up the Kahuna (http://lowlands-l.net/treasures/kahuna.htm) to check
with him, and he had no objection. But then again, he ain't no linguist and
wouldn't know Old Bavarian from a bowl of stale poi if his life depended on
it. So I would not take this as permanent *carte blanche* if I were you,
even considering that he's more of a softy than he wants people to know
(psst), certainly has a soft spot for folks that grow their own food.

Jonny, this being Old Bavarian, please bear in mind that you get a lot of
voiceless stops where other Old German dialects have voiced ones (e.g.,
pluot = bluot 'blood', kitriufit = gitrufit 'drips', perga = berga
'mountains', inprinnant = intbrinnant ~ intbrennant 'catching on fire', poum
= boum 'tree', kistentit = gistendit '(will) stand'). Seems they've always
been a bit on the confused side, them highlanders. Must be the thin air up
that high, not to mention their Celtic ancestry. ;-)

Heil wesan!

Reinhard/Ron
(ordered days of bed rest on account of a massive bout of the flu but unable
to stay away from the keyboard altogether ...)