LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.09.09 (01) [E]

Tue Sep 9 14:14:22 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 September 2008 - Volume 01

From: E Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.09.08 (02) [E]

Hi all,

Yes, Paul, the Bible was only translated in Afrikaans in 1933 and so the
language in which it was written was referred to as 'Hoog Hollands' by the
old folks, meaning 'proper' Dutch to distinguish it from 'Cape Dutch'. My
parents (who both hailed from the Cape) seldom
used this term except within historical context.

I grew up in the low-class southern Johannesburg suburbs and a mixed
Afrikaans/English was spoken by those for whom neither English or Afrikaans
was their first language, i.e. the Nassifs from Lebanon, the Geordanos
from Italy, old Mr Faros from Cairo, the Segedis from Hungary and the Greek
shop owner from Cyprus.

I suspect the people in Danville were/are not that good in English and it is
always easy to assume people speak a mixed tongue if they use bits of your
language in their language to make you feel at ease and them less
uneducated.

We had friends whose mother could not speak English and she refused to
pretend that she was in any way interested to try. She would have long
discussions in Afrikaans with my dead husband's German mother, who would
fume for not being able to showcase her German, French and
English abilities.  Nothing is more entertaining than to see plaas
poise winning over small town snobbery :-)

Elsie Zinsser