LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.04.09 (07) [E]

Thu Apr 9 21:49:49 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 April 2009 - Volume 07

From: jmtait <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.04.08 (06) [E]

Gregg Wrote:
At 10:41 08/04/2009, you wrote:

From: bsu295 at bangor.ac.uk
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.04.08 (01) [E]

Indeed it seams to be you. I only just joined this group, but I remember
reading your website, that later got closed down, not to long ago. And I
wanted to just discuss about the Shetland Dialect with you, or where I would
go about learning it. etc etc, or who I would contact if I really wanted to
learn the more traditional version, such as the one of the older folk. Sorry
abit strange I know, But I was just really interested by your email site
when I first read itand I was thinking about bye a book that I think you had
wriyten

I only just joined this group as well, although I was a member a few years
ago. I haven't written any books, apart from my translation of Mark's
Gospel. As far as learning goes, do you mean, learn about it, learn to
understand it, or learn to speak it?

Here are a few Youtube links you may be interested in:

Shetland Fudge Advert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_1lCZaPWHM

This one shows how the word 'Shaetlan' is pronounced. I'm surprised to see
that this was an advert on the Shetland commercial radio station SIBC, as I
understood they had a no-dialect policy. But I suppose that they'd be
willing to overlook that if they were getting advertising revenue. Never
underestimate the Scots god of canniness.

Cradle Song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij60XUvWjZY

Rabbit Song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpwzqM4A-gs