LL-L "Technica" 2009.04.10 (03) [E]

Fri Apr 10 14:14:39 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 April 2009 - Volume 03

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Technica

It happens that contributions sent to the list are reformatted when
received.

As for spacing between paragraphs it may go both ways:

1 - spacing added between lines

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/sfo/1sent.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/sfo/1rcvd.jpg

2 - spacing between paragraphs deleted

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/sfo/2sent.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/sfo/2rcvd.jpg

In my previous life, at the beginning of internet communications, this
happened frequently as a result of Unix-DOS conversions:

*cf. **http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline>

ï‚·  *LF**:**   ** **Multics* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multics>*,
**Unix*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix>
* and **Unix-like* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like>* systems
(**GNU*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU>
*/**Linux* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux>*,
**AIX*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIX_operating_system>
*, **Xenix* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix>*, **Mac OS
X*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X>
*, **FreeBSD* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD>*, etc.),
**BeOS*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeOS>
*, **Amiga* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga>*, **RISC
OS*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS>
*, and others *

ï‚·  *CR**+**LF**:
**DEC*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Equipment_Corporation>
* **RT-11* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT-11>* and most other early
non-Unix, non-IBM OSes, **CP/M* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M>*, **MP/M
* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP/M>*, **DOS*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS>
*, **OS/2* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2>*, **Microsoft
Windows*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows>
*, **Symbian OS* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbian_OS>* *

ï‚·  *CR**:**   **
**Commodore*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_International>
* machines, **Apple II family*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_family>
*, **Mac OS* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_history>* up to **version
9* <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_9>* and
**OS-9*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-9>

The old teletype machines (and telexes) separated both functions:

CR: carriage return: go back to the beginning of the line (and overtype
eventually)

LF: line feed: advance to next line (not necessarily with repositioning at
the beginning of the line)

Designers of operating systems (as e.g. Unix and MS-DOS) gave their own
interpretation.

Combining CR+LF into a single ASCII character contributed to reducing the
size of the old txt files (communication cost charging was often based on
number of characters, including control characters, transmitted)

So one had to take care when routing over several systems.

At the time we had little programs replacing CRLF with LF or vice versa in
documents we received in txt format.

Momentarily most of us work on Windows/DOS alike systems.

Servers operate mostly under Windows *OR* Unix.

This may explain.

*It is curious that for lowlands list the effect is not consistent.*

*Sometimes blank lines are added.*

*At other moments intended blank lines are deleted.*

Advice is appreciated for as far as we, as sender, can do anything for
keeping our messages under control of layout.

Regards,

Roger

PS. This is how this message looks before beig sent:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/sfo/lldraft.jpg

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technica

Hi, Roger!

I suppose this reformatting occurs when I reset all text to single line with
no space before or after a paragraph. Some people space their contributions
in 1.5 or 2 line format and have their programs allocated space before
and/or after a paragraph. What happens if I leave that as it is is that *
everything* will take on that "special" formatting, i.e. also other people's
contributions, the masthead, footer, etc.

So, to avoid any reformatting I recommend that everybody as much as possible
use single-line format without extra space before and after paragraphs.
Also, I recommend using Arial or Arial Unicode font.

Seattle, USA