LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.04.10 (01) [E]

Fri Apr 10 14:14:53 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 April 2009 - Volume 01

From: bsu295 at bangor.ac.uk
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.04.09 (07) [E]

Hi John,

Ta so much for them links, much appriciated. I want to learn about it aswell
as learn to to speak it. I dont really have much problem understanding it.
But this may be because of the swedish that I know. But exactly how to speak
it is alot harder.

How come theres a no dialect policy, I think this is disgraceful. Is this
due to the crap and f...ing stupid new money English that come and put their
mark by making people talk like them? I really hate that so much.
Argh!!!!!!!!!! So ignorate. I can't understand why people don't just embrace
language and culture, and why locals are so easily swade by what these folk
say!!!!!! Sorry it really gets to me.

Anyway thanx John, and I presume you are the one who wrote the website. Are
you actually from Shetland or are you a scots? If not then How did you come
to learn it? As I presume you are fluent in it?

Hope you are well

Gregg [Ashcroft]

----------

From: bsu295 at bangor.ac.uk

T'reet Cockers,

I hopeyouare all sowell at this time of night. I am sat here writing an
essay about the origins of agriculture, which indeed is very interesting,
but strangley I had I sudden thought whilst having a break and reading a
swedish news article. Anyway in the Lancastrian Dialect, at least southern
Lancs, Wiggin Manchester, Bolton etc We say "Fo't" instead of "to" for
example,

I don't know what to do

goes to

Ah dun't knor wat FO'T dee/doo.

I have always writen it like FO'T rather than FOT. I never really though
about why though. But in Swedish, and I presume Norsk they will use "för
att" to say "to" in some tenses and ocasions. I am just curious if this
could be the origins of FO'T and would explain FO'T as apposed to FOT. As I
have mentioned before alot of Lancashire and Cumberland, Yorkshire
Westmoreland and the othe two Northern Counties are old Norsk settlement,
hence why it could bea loan word or one of the many marks left on our local
language by the Norsk. It would be interesting to find out I would say. Does
anyone know eawt abeawt (anything about) this?

Hope you are all well

Gregg Ashcroft
Lancashire, England