LL-L "Etymology" 2009.04.25 (01) [A/E]

Sat Apr 25 19:48:10 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 25 April 2009 - Volume 01

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.04.24 (02) [A/D]

Dear Ron:

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

*Rats! says Ruth. Ron: You stole our thunder! After an hour of joyous
perusal of Bibles & concordances we were ready to strike... And what
happened? Our Ron wrote.*
**
*Yiddisj treyf of trayf (**טרײף**), van ouer treyfe of trayfe (**טרפֿה**), is
afkomstig van Hebreeus trēfáh (**טְרֵפָה**‎**). Die betekenis van hierdie
Semities woord is "geskeur", in hierdie konteks eintlik "deur wildediere
geskeur", dus nie geslag in die ritueel joods manier nie. 'n Dier wat in die
wild het gestorw is volgens die wet van kasjroet nie kosjer nie, mag **dus *
*nie verteer word nie. Dit woord word later veralgemeen vir enigiets dat nie
kosjer is nie.*
**
*All that remains for us is to cite the reference, Exodus 22:30 (in the
Jewish verse-order), to quote: "And ye shall be holy men unto me: Neither
shall ye eat of any flesh that is torn of beasts in the field; ye shall cast
it to the dogs."*
**
*Yours in professional chagrin,*
*Mark & Ruth*
**
*P.S. We purely admire your mastery of the Hebrew font.*

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Oh, that Ruth!

Folks, obviously our Mark is referring to what I wrote in Afrikaans
regarding Yiddish *treyf* or *trayf*, a term denoting the opposite of
"kosher" (ritually clean, proper).

For those who do that understand it, it says that the term comes from Hebrew
* trēfáh (**טְרֵפָה**‎**), which literally means "torn", here "torn by wild
beasts"* as opposed to slaughtered in the prescribed manner. This came to be
extended to include anything that is prohibited according to the law of *
kashrut*.

Seattle, USA