LL-L "Etymology" 2009.08.09 (01) [DE-EN-FY-NL]

Sun Aug 9 17:39:44 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 August 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: R. F. Hahn
<sassisch at yahoo.com<http://uk.mc264.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=sassisch@yahoo.com>

Subject: Etymology

Dear Lowlanders,

I just found in my mailbox a bunch of responses to my question about *vaak*and
*faken* and other words for "often". Thank you very much. You'll find them
below.

Olaf Bordasch, who used to be a LL-Ler and still monitors our proceedings,
sent me to response privately:

Es gibt Adverbien, die sich aus dem Dativ eines Substantivs entwickelt
haben.

Das Wort "Vak" bedeutet manchmal soviel wie "Zeitraum". (Vgl. niederländisch
"tijdvak".)

Die ursprüngliche Bedeutung von "vaken" dürfte "über längere Zeit" bzw.
"wiederholt" sein.

Das kurze "a" wird im Dativ gedehnt. (Vgl. westfälisch: "Guën Dag", aber "an
düösen Dage".)

Literatur

Mittelniederdeutsche Grammatik von August Lübben S. 124
http://www.archive.org/stream/mittelniederdeu00lbgoog/mittelniederdeu00lbgoog_djvu.txt

Nederlands etymologisch woordenboek Von J. de Vries, F. de Tollenaere,
Maaike Hogenhout-Mulder, S. 760
http://books.google.com/books?id=9_X44k9-3j8C&pg=PP19&lpg=PP19&dq=nederlands+etymologisch+woordenboek&source=bl&ots=ZOR06Hsahj&sig=q8Fx9kbmQQNTq3rhKfEowxsCtZk&hl=de&ei=yuN-StanGo7Y-QbTqJFb&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3#v=onepage&q=vaak&f=false

In other (English) word, *vaak* and *faken* go back to an adverb that
developed from the dative form of a noun and in the process underwent vowel
lengthening. The noun group is represented by the noun **vak* 'interval', as
in Dutch *tijdvak* 'period of time'. Thanks, Olaf!

I should add to this that there is an Old English cognate (with umlauting):
*fæc* ~ *fec* 'interval of space or time'. In writing at least it seems to
have fizzled out after the 12th century. This word is related to German *
Fach* denoting anything relatively small that is separated or deliniated
(e.g. compartment, shelf, receptacle, ... > area of expertise, etc.). They
all go back to Indo-European **păk- ~ pāk- ~ păĝ- ~ pāĝ-* 'to bind', 'to
weave', 'to affix'. So I guess we are talking about creating fences again (a
preoccupation among Indo-Europeans, it seems).

However, Henno points out Middle German *gevach* 'in regular intervals'.

Seattle, USA

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.08.08 (01) [EN]

Ron, Re Vaak. This is interesting. It is maybe weird to say, but on several
occasions I have had the feeling that that was an odd word ( A student may
have asked about the etymology, I do not remember). Then on Aug 3rd, Roger
Thys gave references to Maurits Gijsseling who poses that there was a
pre-roman Germanic language that disappeared ttp://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordwestblock

 I do not know in how far that idea holds water at all, but could it?
Jacqueline?