LL-L "Etymology" 2009.08.09 (03) [EN]

Mon Aug 10 05:03:32 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 August 2009 - Volume 03
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Diederik,

To us southerners "vaak" is indeed exclusively northern Dutch. Nowadays most
standard or substandard/regiolect speakers in Belgium seem to have switched
to preferring "vaak" (I use it in Dutch too, only use dikkels in dialect),
but in dialect the only option is "dikwijls", here pronounced as "dikkels".
I remember from when I was younger that most people still wrote and said
dikwijls even in more formal contexts, but now 15y later "vaak" has become
dominant in Belgian standard Dutch too. At least that how it seems to me,
maybe of course Antwerp adapts such words faster than other parts of the
country.

"Vaak" has only one meaning here, it's what you feel like when being sleepy:
"'k Ém vaak". Most of the youngsters around here will still use "dikwijls"
(dikes).
What do you say then in Antwerp when you're feeling drowsy, apart from "'k
Zen meug": "Ik heb slaap" ??? Do you pronounce the long "a" in "vaak" dark
(Antwerp style) or sharp like standard Dutch requires?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle