LL-L "Etymology" 2009.12.02 (01) [EN]

Wed Dec 2 17:46:21 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 December 2009 - Volume 01

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.12.01 (05) [EN]

"Bedehuis" I have never seen in Dutch, although it is a valid compound I
think as we have "bedevaart" with bede- as first element, meaning
pilgrimage.

Similar to this though, modern Dutch has "gebedshuis" which can be a place
of worship of any undecided religion, but I'm not sure if this is an old
word or a rather modern one (i.e. if it predates the borrowing of "Kerk",
but I think it probably doesnt)

Diederik