LL-L "Etymology" 2009.12.01 (05) [EN]

Wed Dec 2 03:19:31 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 December 2009 - Volume 05

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

I wonder if early Dutch-speaking immigrants had their hands in this: *
*betehuus* > **bedehuis* (*gebedshuis*)?

Remember that large numbers of medieval Dutch speakers, mostly in the
garment trade, moved to Wales and later from their to parts of England and
Scotland (hence surnames like Fleming, Walsh, Welsh etc.).

But wait! There's more!

Old Saxon actually has the word *bedehūs* ("prayer house")!

Old Low Frankish sources are scarcer, but I consider it possible that it had
a cognate.

Now I'm starting to wonder if you are right in suspecting that the word was
introduce to Wales from a Saxon source.

In Old English I would expect a cognate like **bidda**hūs*, but there seems
to no trace of that.

Bitte! ;=)

Note also the name of first and foremost Anglo-Saxon scholar: The Venerable
Bede, one of the greatest (church) historians of all time probably.

His name is cognate with "bede" (Dutch for prayer), and with English "bead".
Yep, the New Orleans stuff ;=)...originally used in something more mundane
like a Roman-Catholic rosary...with which you could count your prayers.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium