LL-L "Etymology" 2009.12.03 (01) [EN-NL]

Thu Dec 3 16:12:53 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 December 2009 - Volume 01

From: Robert Kelly <kelly at bard.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.12.02 (03) [EN-NL]

The old Dutch church in Kingston NY (once a Dutch-speaking city) in the
Hudson Valley, bears an older stone in the stone wall beside the main door
that reads just so:  *Mijn huis zal een bedehuis genoemd worden voor alle
volken.  *The inscription was moved into its present position in the 18th
century from the original church, as I understand it.

RK

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Robert!

It's great to hear from you again. It had been a while.

It is quite interesting that you could pinpoint an actual occurrence of
expected Early Modern Dutch *bedehuis*, and that in North America!

Seattle, USA

P.S.: For what it's worth, I love your poetry.