LL-L "Etymology" 2009.12.03 (02) [EN]

Thu Dec 3 20:54:36 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 December 2009 - Volume 02

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.12.01 (03) [EN]

 Dear Tomas

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

I always enjoy reading you. I hope my pennyworth is not too late on this
rather braided string.

You wrote:
Coming back toi the issue of Jews in Europe, it is a growing belief the
seafaring Phonecians were Jewish by language at least, if not by blood.

A source I cannot cite as written, but if I may refer to Ze'ev Tekhes of
Kibbutz Mishmar HaNegev, a scholar of Jewish demography:

Ze'ev pointed out that after the destruction of Carthage, which until then
dominated the carrying-trade throughout the Western Med. & adjacent Atlantic
seaboards, the only people that could pick up the pieces were Jews. As you
say, they spoke a language extremely close to liturgical Hebrew. In the
Eastern Med & even in their own cities the current language had been Aramaic
for some time, but the citizens of Qriat Khadash, as the Romans called it,
'Carthago' - (New City) still spoke it even, he wrote, into St. Augustine's
time (The common folk in the hinterland still called themselves Ca'anani
(Caananite).

There are evocative traces & memories of Phoenecian influence, so I read,
around the tin & silver trade with Cornwall. Is there not a local deity
Belial for example? If so, that word comes out in both Punic & Hebrew as 'My
Lord God' or 'My Lord Is God', depending on context. Tin was a lesser but
vital component of bronze, & in the Eastern Med. at least, was largely in
the hands of Alexandrian Jewish traders.

Then there was a scandal about (does anything change?) a notable fraction of
the Temple treasury (The Temple in Jerusalem) being *squirreled away* in
Spain... - as the Romans called it - Hispania - as the Carthaginians called
it, 'Ii HaShafanim' - (Cony Island). I hear some people are still looking
for it. First stop is somewhere around Toledo, 'Qriat Toldot' - (The City of
Generations)

Anyhow, the whole of the British Isles could by-pass any contacts at all
with Continental Europe or the North-shore of the Med. They had access
through Punic traders & their successors the Jews to the African shore & its
hinterlands right back to Egypt, & that continued even after the Jewish
Wars, through the mediation of the African Church right up until the Vandal
invasion of North Africa.

There is no evidence, & perhaps we have no business speculating, but it is
by no means unlikely for Jesus to have travelled to the British Isles. In
any event, in Alexandria he is almost certain, in his youth, to have met
many of his own nation that had.

In any event, there is no need for a Teutonic or Roman medium of
transmission to the Emerald Isle of the word 'Church', 'Kirk' or 'Kerk', but
it was surely an established term in all Christianity before the
Augustine-Pelagian schism.

As for 'Bedehuis', for what it's worth my J. R. R. Tolkien cites the very
word, the Welsh 'Bittws' as one of the few Anglo-Saxon borrowings into
Welsh.

Oh, pardon my lurking! Only some people - so many - have so much more to say
& say it so much better.

Yrs,
Mark

P.S. My Ruth reckons some of us goyim know too much about Judaism for our
own good.