LL-L "Delectables" 2009.12.11 (01) [EN]

Fri Dec 11 08:02:00 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 December 2009 - Volume 01

From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2009.12.10 (03) [EN]

On 11/12/2009, at 5:15 PM, Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Scottish tattie scones are to me a simple dish made in a few minutes from
last night's leftover mashed potatoes. Make the potatoes into a ball and
roll it out thinly, sprinkling flou to stop it from sticking. Cut the circle
into quarters and dry fry on a griddle o rin a thick frying pan. Eat with
breakfast or by themselves spread with butter.

During my years in Ghana we used to do the same recipe using yams as
potatoes were in very short supply up North.
There however they were made into scone sized but flatter cakes. While OK
they could never beat potatoes.
Britain's culinary bible "Good Housekeeping Cookery Book" however, while
acknowledging they can be made as Sandy suggests
claims they are much better when fresh hot potatoes are mashed and used
immediately. Sandy's recipe worked well for us.

 Best Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia
An honest man's the noblest work of God (Robert Burns)