LL-L "Syntax" 2009.02.04 (02) [E]

Wed Feb 4 15:48:43 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 February 2009 - Volume 01

From: Paul Tatum <ptatum at blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2009.02.03 (01) [E]

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz <mailto:
wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2009.02.02 (03) [E]

FWIW, it is found in some early modern English dialects.  Unfortunately that
isn't one of my strong areas, so I can't say exactly which ones - though I
remember seeing it in a number of Elizabethan-era poems by Spencer et alii,
but FWIW, I have used it in a mock-serious way in English:

Hi Wesley and all,
In early Modern English this usage seems to have started as a literary
re-analysis of genitive phrases where the possessor was expressed by a word
that end in a sibilant e.g. 'King James' bible' was written 'King James his
bible'. From there, it spread so that you could write 'Queen Elizabeth her
crown'. As far as I'm aware, (i.e. not very far) it was only ever a literary
phenomenon, nobody said 'Queen Elizabeth her crown' when speaking naturally
and the usage quickly disappeared. Expressing the genitive this way with the
possessive pronoun occurs outside the Germanic language family, leafing
through 'The concise compendium of the world's languages' by George
Campbell, I found Akan, Navajo and Somali. Turkish uses a mixed construction
'adam.In kaslem.i' = 'of-man his-pencil' = 'the man's pencil' (.In is
genitive marker, .i is 3rd person possessive).

Paul Tatum

----------

From: E Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Syntax" 2009.02.03 (03) [A/E]

Hi all,

I'd also like to mention that possessive forms in Afrikaans do appear
without the 'se' contruction, as for example:
Die sakelys punte onder bespreking (...sakelys se punte..., i.e. E. agenda
items),
Die kar wiele is pap (...kar se wiele...),

Is this perhaps a slow move towards vernaamwoording? Karwiele, sakelyspunte,

honde-ore, katspoeg, tafelpoot, etc.

Groete,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>

Right, in colloquial spoken Dutch the construction with "zijn" is
universal.
The friends of our sons, when talking to us, call my wife and me: "Arvid
zijn mamma" or "Imme zijn vader".
Actually, this "zijn" is always pronounced with a schwa, z'n [z at n] and
often even final n is dropped "ze" [z@]. Just the same as Afrikaans "se".
We don't have daughters, but when we were kids, my sisters' friends called
our parents "Nadine z'n moeder" or "Saskia z'n vader", so this z'n (his)
can also be used for women. But adults would say "Saskia d'r auto"
or "Nadine d'r man", where d'r [d at r] is colloquial spoken Dutch for "haar"
her.

Groetjes van Imme en Arvid z'n vader  (Ingmar)