LL-L "History" 2009.02.28 (02) [E]

Sat Feb 28 19:18:45 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 February 2009 - Volume 02

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "History"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

*
* I wrote in connection with Swedish claims outside today's Sweden that
Sweden occupied a region in what is now Northeastern Germany.*
* *
* During the Thirty Year War (1618–1648) Sweden did indeed occupy most of
the coast of what is now the German state of Mecklenburg – Western
Pomerania.*
* *
* In addition, Sweden occupied a coastal area from the southern bank of the
Lower Elbe to about Eastern Friesland in today's German state of Lower
Saxony, an area that bordered on Hamburg.*
* *
* Please take a look at the light blue areas on this map of the situation of
1648:*
* **http://tinyurl.com/c5oo5m* <http://tinyurl.com/c5oo5m>

Not only that, but the family name "Van Swieten" and "Van Zwieten" can be
traced back to at least the 15th century in Southern Holland. It's believed
that their ancestors hailed from Sweden.

On a more positive note, Sweden càn lift our spirits too (well, mine anyway
*s*).

Take a look at Göran Kropp. Guy from Southern Sweden who took his bicycle
out of the shed in 1995...said to himself: well, the weather looks fine,
let's ride to Qomolangma (*ཇོ་མོ་གླང་མ**, *Mount Everest in Tibetan), and
climb it. He took all the stuff he might need on his bike, and started
cycling...arrived at the foot of the mountain, mocked all the other guys who
were climbing with oxygen and sherpa's...the other guys made fun of him and
let him blaze the trail...he did so...in one go...stopped 300 m short of the
summit, and returned, saying that it would be too dangerous to climb it
right then...couple of weeks later, he did, walked back down...took up his
bike again and cycled back home...that's my kind of guy, a modern Viking
indeed *s*.

However...later on, he moved to Seattle...but died while trying* *to climb
Frenchman Coulee in 2002.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle