LL-L "Etymology" 2009.01.04 (03) [E]

Sun Jan 4 22:11:48 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 January 2009 - Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Mark, *

Tüdelkram* is a Missingsch and (from derived from it) casual Northern German
word for something like "nonsense", but not necessarily with such a harsh
sound, more in the sense of "convoluted stuff", which is pretty much the
literal translation.

It is based on Low Saxon *Tütelkraam* (*tuytelkraam*). In other dialects it
is *Tüterkraam* (*tuyterkraam*). (You can also write it with a "d" instead
of a "t", but that's a different matter to be taken up elsewhere.) This in
turn is based on *Tüter* (*tuyter*) 'string', 'cord', 'thread', 'yarn',
'rope', anything that can be rolled up. More specifically it means
'messed-up (convoluted) ball of yarn, rool of rope, etc.' Hence the
expression *in de(n) Tüter kamen* 'to get mixed up', 'to get confused' (both
referring to a string etc. and the person that does the rolling up). It's
extension is *Tüterband* (*tuyterband*) ~ *Tütelband* (*tuytelband*)
'string' (often specifically a piece of string with which to make figures in
a game).

Derived from it is the verb *tütern* (*tuytern*) ~ *tüteln* (*tuyteln*) 'to
bind', 'to string up', 'to talk nonsense', 'to work slowly and
inefficiently'. Derived from this is the adjective/adverb *tüterig* (*
tuyterig*) 'confused', 'potty' (in the non-American sense).

*Tütelkraam* (*tuytelkraam*) may be confused with and may have been
"infected" by *Tüünkraam* (*tuynkraam*) 'nonsense' (in the sense of 'made-up
story', 'fib' or even 'lie'). I am not aware of a relevant noun **Tüün* (*
tuyn*). But, as if derived from it as well, there is the verb *tünen* (*
tuynen*) 'to talk nonsense', 'to fib', 'to lie'. I do not believe that the
noun *Tüün* (*tuyn*) ~ *Tuun* (*tuun*) 'fence' (in some western dialects
'garden') and *tünen* (*tuynen*) 'to fence (in)' are related to it. But
wait! I think I'm wrong there, considering the meaning further and probably
earlier meaning of* tünen* (*tuynen*): 'to weave branches and twigs (for
fencing)'. Yeah, that must be it, analogous with *Tüter* and *tütern* -- one
with string and the other with branches and twigs.

Personally I understand it this way in general:

   - *Tüterkraam* (*tuyterkraam*) ~ *Tütelkraam* (*tuytelkraam*) denotes
   nonsense that is not a deliberate fabrication.
   - *Tüünkraam* (*tuynkraam*) is a deliberate fabrication.

Any comments anyone?