LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.01.04 (02) [D/E]

Sun Jan 4 21:04:04 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 January 2009 - Volume 01

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.01.03 (02) [E]

> It would have been clearer simply to say
> "We will have a meeting on tuesday." (This would mean *this* tuesday, of
> course.)

the solution used in Japanese Deaf culture (and I am sure a solution
used in other cultures as well) is to refer to events ALWAYS by their
date. I was forever, even after 15 years being in the midst of it
daily, translating when people asked me "Will you be there on 14 Feb"
that they mean "Tuesday 3 weeks from now"!

Mike || マイク || माईक || Мика || માઈક || მაიქ || ਮਾਈਕ
מייק || மாஇக் || Miqueu || U C > || ما یک || Mihangel
Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director Ishara Foundation Mumbai (Bombay), India
माईकल मोर्गन (पी.एच.डी.) मेनेजिंग डॉयरेक्टर ईशारा फॉउंडेशन (मुंबई )
茂流岸マイク(言語学博士) イシャラ基金の務理事・事務局
長 ムンバイ(ボンベイ)、インド