LL-L "Grammar" 2009.01.09 (07) [E]

Fri Jan 9 22:50:57 UTC 2009

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 January 2009 - Volume 07

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2009.01.09 (01) [E]

> From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2009.01.08 (02) [E]
>

> As to the finer sight and hearing of the bushmen, I would love to see
> the Jupiter moons without a glass or telescope! I had not heard it of
> the bushmen, but I have read a similar thing about native americans:
> They were able to see *by daylight* not only the moon (when there),
> which we also can, but several bright stars/planets. Not at dawn, but
> in the bright afternoon. The colonists wondered and controlled the
> points the natives had shown in the sky, and it turned out that they
> fitted well with the astronomical positions of the planets. -- Perhaps
> Reinhard knows something as to the truth of this myth or non-myth?

As a long-time naked-eye observer I wouldn't put the moons of Jupiter
thing as such an outstanding feat. These would be quite clearly visible
in the night sky if they weren't obscured by the glare of Jupiter so
given the clear skies of the bush and frequent observation and a few
individuals with extra-sharp eyesight I don't see why they shouldn't
know a thing or two about them.

When I was a habitual observer I could also tell people where planets
and stars were by full daylight. It's not that I could actually see them
(except for the moon), it's that I was so used to the rhythms in the sky
I just knew where they were whether I could see them or not.

I suspect therefore that this is yet another case of "the natives"
playing tricks on unsuspecting anthropologists  :)

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/