LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.02 (06) [EN]

Fri Jul 3 02:34:17 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 July 2009 - Volume 06
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.02 (05) [DE-EN]

Dear Heather,

you made some more steps into the dirction of the myterious development of
"makker":

You wrote:

macula Latin = spot   so spotless = immacula  >> Eng immaculate

What is interesting about 'makeless 'is that the Latin 'macula/make' seems
to have been taken over directly into Early English and had the Germanic
ending los/less added to it.............. unless of course there was a
cognate in OHGerman or Early English that the OED knows nothing about
And, indeed, lateron (after the mail had gone) this *"im"-*macula stroke my
linguistic mind as well as yours. But following the thread I (perhaps) found
some more unexpected relations. DE:'Makel' means an E: 'mistake', 'stigma',
and in consequence we have the verbum DE: "mäkeln", which could be
translated as E: "to critizise". And - going on - in LS we find "meckern",
which also could be translated as E: "to belittle", "to malign". And, from
the sight of vowel shifting, there should be no problem for a change from
'mäke*l*n' to 'mecke*r*n'.
But - I'm not sure at all if we are allowed to make any conclusion back to
LS: "Makker" from this path, though Luc's hints to any French origin seem to
follow similar tracks.

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.02 (04) [EN]

For what it’s worth, here’s what Wikipedia (yeah, I know) says about
“mucker”:

“A colloquial term of endearment, originating from the Irish 'mo chara'
meaning 'my friend.' Commonly used as a greeting in Scotland and Ireland. Is
also a common greeting in the West Country of England and South Wales,
(All'rite mucker) Meaning "Are you ok my friend." Similar to "How are you"
in common English.”

Kevin Caldwell

Laurel, Maryland