LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.07.09 (02) [DE-EN-NDS]

Sat Jul 11 01:43:05 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 July 2009 - Volume 02
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Hannelore Hinz  <HanneHinz at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2009.07.09 (01 [DE-NDS]

----- Original Message -----
 *From:* Lowlands-L List <lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM>
*To:* LOWLANDS-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
*Sent:* Friday, July 10, 2009 6:20 PM

Beste Jonny;

nee, de rode Kohl is nich meint. Gräunkohl also Grünkohl:
brassicia oleracea acephala  lt. Wossidlo/Teuchert. Also die lat.
Bezeichnung ist doch etwas anders als beim Rotkohl.
Man nennt den Grünkohl auch blagen Kohl. Es ist also auch der *Grünkohl *für
regionale Gerichte *Grünkohl mit Pinkel *gemeint. Und wird nicht bei diesem
Gericht dem Grünkohl *braun *angedichtet?
Ich konnte aber noch nicht mehr erkunden, wie Wossidlo auf *blagen Kohl *
(Grünkohl)
gekommen ist. - Ich bleibe am Ball.
In Mecklenburg wurden am Gründonnerstag *Gräundunnersdag *grüne Gerichte
aufgetischt. Gesundheit erhalten, Kräfte auffrischen. Alles was grün, frisch
gewachsen und eßbar war wie Brennessel, Spinat und Grünkohl (Hauptgericht).

Na, denn ok von mi.
Allerbest!

Hannelore

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

"Guys",

The confusion might be due to the fact that "blue cabbage" (*Blaukraut*) is
the word for 'red cabbage' in Southern German dialects, also in Austria.

I know *Gröönkahl* (*Gräunkohl  *"green cabbage") for 'kale' in Northern Low
Saxon, *Gr**ünkohl *in Northern (Low-Saxon-based) German. *

Blagen Kohl* ~ **Blaukahl* ("blue cabbage") for the same isn't surprising to
me, since raw kale can have a bluish green color.

**Brunen Kahl ~ ***Bruunkahl* ("brown cabbage") for the same wouldn't
surprise me either because of the way it is cooked in the Netherlands and
Northern Germany: long and slow in a covered pot (usually with sausage or
smoked meat inside, depending on the region). (To my Southern States and
African American compatriots: if you love greens simmered with smoked meat
or Andouille sausage you would just love those European Lowlands kale dishes
typically served around Christmas.)  The kale turns a brownish color. (Same
thing with American collard greens and other types of greens.) I figured out
why from an Indian cooking teacher: green vegetables will loose their green
color and turn brownish if they are cooked in a covered pot. This is due to
a certain type of gas escaping that would dissipate if the pot were not
covered. (In other words, if it is possible, leave the lid off and you will
retain most of the green color.) Obviously this is not an option in the case
of the said class of kale dishes that must be cooked long, slow and covered,
or rather in a pressure cooker (*Schnellkochtopf*) as far as I am concerned.

I'm getting even hotter thinking of these (delicious) dishes in our current
evening heat.  En is het niet warm, beste buurvrouw Jacqueline?  (It's cold
dishes for me tonight.)

Seattle, USA

P.S.: I had a real Hahn day today. My doctor's medical student sidekick
(nice young fella and expecting father) had the surname Hahn, as had the
pharmacist that filled his prescription. Both were European Americans. The
lady that rang up my purchases in the same pharmacy had the surname ...
Hahn, but in her case it was Korean: 한 (韓 or 漢). Apart from the
(Chinese-derived) Korean name, Hahn seems to be percentage-wise far more
common here in the US than in Germany. And practically everyone here
pronounces it correctly (unlike in Australia). I told the medical student
sidekick the real etymology, i.e. related to Hagen and "haw", not to
anything related to "rooster" or ... Heaven forbid! ... "cock" ... (though I
might be inclined to take that as a compliment). He was entertained and
probably relieved and said he intends to entertain his friends with it. (If
you need to, please respond to this under "Etymology".)