LL-L "Orthography" 2009.07.14 (01) [EN]

Tue Jul 14 14:15:16 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 14 July 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2009.07.13 (02) [EN]

Kevin Caldwell wrote:

> the spelling “centre” is often used in commercial/retail developments to
> lend an air of prestige).

I also expect, in line with R/R's original comments, that the choice
"between theater" and "theater" is also "emotively" marked in such a
way.  Thus, I might write "I am going to the theatre" if I am going to
see Shakespeare, and "I am going to the theater" if I am going to see
Sylvester Stallone. ... AND of course this is NOT the same as if I (an
American by birth and language variety) pronounce the word "theatre"
in a "posh" "British" (sic) sort fo way, implyign a certain
snootiness...

PS And now, on my way to a new country, I am wondering if I will
TOTALLY confuse everyone with my anarchic (read: "poor", "confused")
spelling habits ... made all the "worse" (or better, depending on your
point of view) by 18 months working in India!

mike || U C > || мика  || माईक || マイク || ሚካኤል
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          (( Michael W Morgan, PhD ))
    to be Assistant Professor in Linguistics
Ethiopian Sign Language & Deaf Studies Program
      Addis Ababa University (Ethiopia)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
וואָס לענגער אַ בלינדער לעבט, אַלץ מער זעט ער.
The longer a blind man lives, the more he sees.

----------

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
 Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2009.07.13 (01) [EN]

 Microsoft's besetting sin.  I do some voluntary work at a Community
Centre's
computer lab/cybercaf, and every time Microsoft upgrades the XP on out
network, we get into trouble with the printers - because Microsoft can't
imagine that anyone could ever print anything on anything else besides
letter - and insists on changing our minds for us.  And we set our printers
to A4.

Microsoft's like a runaway cancer - every time you think you've dug it out,
it
infects yet another portion of the body, and before you know it, ...

Wesley Parish