LL-L "Environment" 2009.07.16 (01) [EN]

Wed Jul 15 14:16:11 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 July 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables"

Beste Ron,
You wrote:

When I was very young we would collect them in the woods, those tiny
explosions of flavor.

With all the environmental devastation in Europe they aren't easy to find
over there either these days.

We also ate them in pancakes ... so much better than what they make these
days ...

Yes, yes, yes ... talkin' like real old farts ... Should we start talking
about our aches and pains next and how badly behaved people are now? ;-)

Re environmental devastation, the EU just published a report on biodiversity
in Europe two days ago. Summary:

*Environment: Many of Europe's most vulnerable species and habitats under
threat*

Today the Commission published a report on the conservation status of over
1150 species and 200 habitat types protected under EU law. Only a small
proportion of these vulnerable habitats and species have achieved good
conservation status and Member States will need to strengthen their efforts
if this situation is to improve. The report, which covers 2001-2006 and is
the most comprehensive survey of EU biodiversity ever undertaken, provides
an invaluable reference point for measuring future trends. Grasslands,
wetlands and coastal habitats face the greatest threats, mainly due to the
decline of traditional patterns of agriculture, tourist development and
climate change. The picture is not uniformly gloomy, however, and some
larger, emblematic species such as the wolf, Eurasian lynx, beaver and otter
are beginning to re-colonize parts of their traditional range. Many Member
States invested heavily to carry out the detailed monitoring, and despite a
number of gaps, the reporting has been a great success.

Ok, the wolf is returning (lyrically wonder if he has ever been away, after
watching a BBC documentary on the steep rise of knife crime in London and
Scotland an hour ago), but wetlands and coastal habitats in particular seem
to be in danger.

If ever the Netherlands have to be restored in their original state, we'd
better tear down the dikes and the levees, and pretty soon there'll be no
more talk of Lowlands. Rebaptize the mailing list, AL-L: Atlantis Languages
and Cultures *s*. Basta, "Luctor et Emergo".

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle