LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.16 (02) [EN]

Wed Jul 15 14:18:11 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 July 2009 - Volume 02
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.14 (07) [EN-NDS]

from Heather Rendall  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

re black, red and white currants mentioned by Jacqueline and Ron

Just to tease the lot of you, we have just ended a bumper harvest of all 3
types of currant. I have been able to give friends heaps for their own
devices and with the morello cherries that followed I have made

1. Cherry and red/white currant jelly  .. v strong and delicious

2. Summer Syrup: for diluting with water - v good iced in summer and a tasty
treat in winter and full of vitamen C

3. frozen small tubs of black& red currants to be turned into coulis to add
to puddings or best of all put into jellies. The odd summer pudding will be
made too.

4. red currants and cherries have been dried to add to museli

But what I want to know is why they are called Johannisbeere? Is it because
they (ought to) ripen roundabout St Johns Day???

best wishes

from Heather awaiting a big crop of apricots for the very first time and a
huge number of figs