LL-L "Resources" 2009.07.16 (03) [EN]

Wed Jul 15 16:20:51 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 July 2009 - Volume 03
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

The release of the movie version of Brüno, one of the characters of Sacha
Baron Cohen (of Borat fame), once again reminded me of Dyl Ulenspeghel (or
Till Eulenspiegel, since unfortunately most English speakers are more
familiar with the German translation). The reason is that, at least to my
mind, what Sacha Baron Cohen does is clearly in the tradition of
"pranksters" like Dyl Ulenspeghel (Tyl Uylenspieghel) of the Continental
Lowlands, Nasreddin Hoja of the Turkic-speaking world, and Hershele
Ostropoler of the Yiddish-speaking world. This is a tradition of
socio-cultural criticism by way of questioning and breaking social rules
while feigning ignorance and innocence. (Outrage among certain individuals
and social groups at Baron Cohen antics is obviously a desired result in
that such reactions arise from ignorance of the prankster's intentions and
thus emphasize the alleged absurdity of whatever is being exposed and
questioned.) In the Ulenspeghel tradition this is referred to as "holding up
a mirror" at society.

Anyway, I am wondering how to get hold of the earliest versions of the
Middle Saxon and Middle Dutch Ulenspeghel texts. I am not too interested in
later translations.

Thanks and regards,
Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA