LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.16 (04) [EN]

Wed Jul 15 17:27:14 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 July 2009 - Volume 04
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Heather asked about currants:

But what I want to know is why they are called Johannisbeere? Is it because
they (ought to) ripen roundabout St Johns Day???

Apparently, so, Heather. The berries are supposed to start ripening on  St.
John's Day (June 24). I supposed that depends on the region, though.

The berries are native to the Lowlands as well as in France, Germany and
Northern Italy. Elsewhere they were imported and may grow wild because of
abandoned gardens or just spread.

Interestingly, red currants (*Ribes rubrum*) are known as *brusela or brixel
* in Asturian, the plant as *bruselar* or *brixelar*, thus with reference to
Brussels.

Seattle, USA

P.S.: Here comes Heather to rub it in some more ...

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.16 (02) [EN]

from Heather Rendall
heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk<http://webmail.tiscali.co.uk/cp/ps/Mail/MsgBody?d=tiscali.co.uk&contentSeed=d1161&u=heatherrendall&pct=d5510&l=en#>

re black, red and white currants mentioned by Jacqueline and Ron

PS I forgot! 3 bottles of cherry brandy as well!

Heather