LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.16 (06) [EN]

Wed Jul 15 21:23:46 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 July 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Ron,
You wrote:

Interestingly, red currants (*Ribes rubrum*) are known as *brusela or brixel
* in Asturian, the plant as *bruselar* or *brixelar*, thus with reference to
Brussels.

According to Wikipedia, the first cultivars of red currants were grown in
Belgium around 1600. Also interesting is that we call them "zee-bezen",
"zee-bezekes" (diminutive) in Brabantish and in 1599, Kiliaan referred to
them as "besiken over zee" (acinus ultramarinus). I'm no biologist by any
means, but could it be that Columbus brought them back from the Americas and
that this new variety was then cross-fertilized in the Spanish Netherlands
of which Brabant was a part?

By the way, red currants are called "zjenivers" in Western Flemish.

Another plant that must have been imported in those days was the Chinese
lantern. Despite its looks, I think Columbus may have fetched it in Central
America, since the plant has Mexican indigenous relatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalis_alkekengi

Kiliaan labels them "winterkersen", "kriecken over zee". Another Dutch
synonym is "jodenkers".

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle