LL-L "Resources" 2009.07.16 (06) [EN]

Wed Jul 15 21:58:48 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 July 2009 - Volume 06
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2009.07.16 (05) [EN]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Resources
>  I am just saying this because I've heard some people say it's a Flemish
story. ..

Here is an excerpt of what I wrote in:
LL-L "Travels" 2009.03.29 (01) [E]
referring to a visit to Hamburg.

*** quote ***

 I found a couple of books in the bookshop at the *Dammtor railway station*,
as well as some publicity for the bookshops of "Buchhandlung Laatzen".  I
was intrigued in that prospectus by this item:
Charles De Coster, Ulenspiegel, 11 CDs etc. (Höredition NDR Kultur).
So I checked in the *Laatzen bookshop* in the Esplanade street:
It is all read in Hochdeutsch not in Platt!!!!!!!! O Ulenspiegel, what did
they do to you?
Eulensiegel has several traditions. One playing around *Kneitlingen-Mölln*,
another playing around *Damme-Bruges.*
At a time the Dutch-Flemish language was in decay in Belgium, Charles de
Coster rewrote the Belgian version in French in 1867, and this version
gained popularity and has been translated into several languages.
My reflexion: why did the NDR not record the original version? and why not
in Platt??
I didn't buy the De Coster CD-junk.  [...]

PS. The De Coster I have at home:
- Charles De Coster, *La légende et les aventures héroiques joyeuses et
glorieuses d'Ulenspiegel et de Lamme Goedzak au pays des Flandres et
ailleurs* [1867],
édition définitive établie et présentée par Joseph Hanse,
deuxième édition revue avec de nouvelles notes et variantes,
Bruxelles, La Renaissance du Livre, 1979, no ISBN, xxxi + 493 pp. (in
French)
De Coster replaced the story in the context of the fight for freedom in the
Netherlands in the 16th century, add to that a consistent thread in the
plot, good (French) writing skill and this may explain the popularity of
that edition.

An historical approach (starting with the *1510-1511* manuscript by Bote can
be found in:
Jozef Janssens (and many others), *Uilenspiegel, De wereld op zijn kop*,
1999, Leuven, Davidsfonds, ISBN 90-6306-394-6, 272 pp. (in Dutch)
The first tradition with *Damme* as place of events can apparently traced
back to *1628* with the publication of "Historie van Thijl Ulenspiegel". It
is a mofified (falsified) version printed in Antwerp of an original
published in Amsterdan in 1623 by Broer Jansz.

The 2 editions I have at home in Dutch all *play in Northern Germany*:

- Ulenspiegel, Antwerpen *1580*, facsimile verzorgd en van een inleiding
voorzien door Dr. Loek Geeraerds, 1987, Anrwerpen, Berghmans uitgevers, ISBN
90-70959-11-9, 43 pp + 62 pp facsimile (not numbered) from an original from
the Niedersächsische D-Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek, Göttingen. The
facsimile is set in a gothic type of characters.
(The oldest print in Dutch was apparently made by Michiel Hillen van
Hoochstraten, not dated, but to be positioned *between 1518 and 1545*)

- Wonderbaarlijke en zeldzame Historie van Thyl Ulenspiegel, 1996, Leuven,
Davidsfonds, ISBN 90-6306-349-0, 128 pp.It is a version in modernised
orthography of the publication by J.H. De Lange in Deventer *around 1790*.
I think one takes the cream from the cake when modernizing orthography.

*** end quote ***

Regards,
Roger