LL-L "Resources" 2009.07.16 (01) [EN]

Thu Jul 16 14:18:19 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 July 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2009.07.16 (03) [EN]

Some more comments on Ulenspiegel:

*1 - Middle Dutch*

*> From: R. F. Hahn <**sassisch at yahoo.com* <sassisch at yahoo.com>*>
> Subject: Resources
> ** I am wondering how to get hold of the earliest versions of the Middle
Saxon and Middle Dutch Ulenspeghel texts. I am not too interested in later
translations.*

I don't know what period one uses for *Middle-Saxon*.
For Dutch one generally takes:
*Old Dutch:* from ca 500 till 1150-1200
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oudnederlands
*Middle Dutch*: 1150-1500 http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middelnederlands
For the WNT (*Modern Dutch* dictionary) one considers text quotes dating *from
1500 on*:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNT "Het Woordenboek der Nederlandsche Taal,
kortweg WNT, is een historisch woordenboek dat de Nederlandse woorden *vanaf
1500* beschrijft.."
Since the earliest known version of Ulenspiegel (in High German) by
Grüninger in Strasbourg dates from 1515 (with some fragments found in an
earlier printing of 1510/11; it is very unlikely any version exists in
"Middle Dutch".

*2 - The "Damme" connection*

** > From: R. F. Hahn <**sassisch at yahoo.com* <sassisch at yahoo.com>*>
> Subject: Resources*
*> . I am just saying this because I've heard some people say it's a Flemish
story. Well, I guess it still could be, but Middle Dutch sources would then
hardly refer to that eastern area.*
**
*** > From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
> Subject: **LL-L "Resources" 2009.07.16 (05) [EN]
**> The first tradition with Damme as place of events can apparently traced
back to 1628 with the publication of "Historie van Thijl Ulenspiegel". It is
a mofified (falsified) version printed in Antwerp of an original published
in Amsterdan in 1623 by Broer Jansz.*

As to "*Damme*" in "Dit is West-Vlaanderen", 1959, 3 vols, St-Andries,
Flandria, eerste deel, p. 301-309
- 1180, 1190, 1241: Dam; 1270 den Damme; 1282: Dam: 1299: Damme; 1306: ten
Damme.
- Damme was initially a town on the estuary "*the Zwin",* linking Bruges
with the North-Sea.
- It was founded as a colony of *dyke-builders from Holland and Zeeland*
- I don't know whether those dyke-builders did their job that well, but the
Zwin started silting, cutting off Bruges  from the sea. The *Hanze *considered
for a while relocating from Bruges to mid-way Damme, but they finally
relocated to Antwerp.
- The Dutch-language writer *Jacob van Maerlant* (died around 1300) is
buried in the church of Damme. On his gravestone one recognized figures
simular to an owl and a mirror (Ulenspiegel -> *Uilen*spiegel). Later some
people started thinking that grave was Ulenspiegels' grave. The pastor has
to turn around the gravestone for stopping a pilgrimage to "Ulenspiegels'
grave".

It is not clear what what came first: a fake print putting the story in
Damme, or an emerging belief in Tyls' connection to Damme asking for an
adjusted edition.

The copletely rewritten version in French by *De Coster (1867)* plays in
Damme.
It was well written and translated into several languages. This gave a
second boost for defining Damme as an Ulenspiegel town.

Links:
*Damme* in Belgium:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damme_(België)<http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damme_%28Belgi%C3%AB>
The *Zwin*: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwin_(zeearm<http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwin_%28zeearm>
)
(original name "*Sincfala*")
There is also a *Damme in Niedersachsen*:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damme_(Duitsland<http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damme_%28Duitsland>
)
*De Coster* (born in München):
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_De_Coster
Filmed versions based on De Costers's Tyl:
- in Russian 1976 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074784/
- one in Dutch 1973 in 4 episodes: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0197067/
- one in French 1956 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048970/

*3 - The first Dutch edition*

*> From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
> Subject: **LL-L "Resources" 2009.07.16 (03) [EN]
*  *> - The first edition in Dutch was printed in Antwerp by Van
Hoochstraten between 1525 and 1546*
*>... There is one known copy left of the first edition. It is momentarily
in the Royal Library in Copenhagen.*
*> A modernized version of this first edition was printed in 1790 by De
Langhe in Deventer.*
*> The lather was further modernized into modern Dutch and is available as:*
*> - Wonderbaarlijke en zeldzame Historie van Thyl Ulenspiegel... hertaald
en ingeleid door Guy Segers en Patricia Visscher, *
*1996, Leuven, Davidsfonds/Clauwaert, ISBN 90-6306-349-0, 128 pp.*
*> I don't know if there is any version in the original Dutch used in
1525-1546.*

I'm ashamed to admit that I just found that I have a version in the original
16th century Dutch of around 1530 in my very own library.
It is not a facsimile, but a bilingual version "20th-c Dutch" on left pages,
"16th-c Dutch" on right pages.
A couple of sample pages:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tu/92_93.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tu/94_95.jpg
The original got some adjustments, as justified on:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tu/91.jpg
This includes a *"v->u"* modernization.

It comes from:
Het volksboek van Ulenspieghel,
naar de oudst bewaard gebleven druk van *Michiel Hillen van Hoochstraten* te
Antwerpen uit de eerste helft van de zestiende eeuw,
vertaald, ingeleid en van aantekeningen voorzien door Dr. Loek Geeraedts,
1986, Kapellen, Nederlandsche Boekhandel & Pelckmans, ISBN 90-289-1155-3,
215 pp.
with:
p 1-91 comments
p 92-203 bilingual edition
p 205-215 notes

>From the comments:
list of Antwerp editions (with additionally some High German sources)
and comments on the source material;
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tu/63.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tu/64.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tu/65.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tu/66.jpg

*4 - Jacob van Maerlant & Spiegel Historiael*

The guy who is resting in Tyls' grave in Damme is Jacob van Maerlant.(ca.
1230 - ca 1293).
His works include "*Spiegel Historiael*", a world history on rime,
a sample with what the *English* learn from the "*Sassen, Deenen en
Vlaminghe*";
(I leave it to Ron to translate with the necessary sensitivity)
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tu/vol3_270.jpg
quoted from p 270 in vol 3 of:

Jacob van Maerlant's
*Spiegel Historiael*..... bewerkt door Philip Utenbroeke rn Lodewijc van
Velthem
1861-1879, Leiden
reprint 1982, Utrecht, HES Publishers,
- eerste deel, civ + 467 pp. ISBN 90-6194-283-7
- tweede deel, iii + 432 pp. ISBN 90-6194-293-4
- derde deel, iii + 464 pp., ISBN 90-6194-303-5
- vierde deel, xxx + 536 pp., ISBN 90-6194-313-2

A book about Spiegel Historiael, with several reproductions in color of the
illuminated manuscript:
Jozef Janssens & Martine Meuwese
Jacob van Maerlant
Spiegel Historiael
De miniaturen uit het handschrift
Den Haag, Koninklijke Bibliotheek, KA XX
1997, Leuven, Davidsfonds/Clauwaert, ISBN 90-6306-358-x, 176 pp thick paper
large size

More about Maerlant:
Frits van Oostrom, Maerlant's wereld,
*(bekroond met de AKO-Literatuurprijs)*
1996, negende druk 1998, Amsterdam, Prometheus, ISBN 90-5333-654-0, 487 pp.

Regards,
Roger