LL-L "Language history" 2009.07.27 (01) [EN]

Mon Jul 27 18:43:48 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 27 July 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language history" 2009.07.25 (02) [EN]

From: Dan Prohaska <daniel at ryan-prohaska.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language history" [EN]

Sandy,

You asked: “*Was the 'reet, neet, nowt' imported from Scandinavia or is it
merely phonetic shift?*”

These are English words, and they rather missed out on a phonetic shift than
took part in one.

Thanks, Dan, that makes sense. I asked because there seems to be a strong
thread in popular Northumbrian dialect literature that these words go right
back to some Scandinavian dialect but no evidemce seems to be presented and
without that it's hard to see why it can't just be phonetic shift.

By the way, Ron, thanks for the wecloming. I may err on the side of brevity
for a while as I learn to use a mobile phone for large texts, but on the
other hand I can get on line almost anywhere, any time!

Sandy Fleming
Http://scotstext.org/ <http://scotstext.org/>

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
 Subject: LL-L "Language history" 2009.07.24 (03) [EN]

 Glancing quickly at a few maps, those pronunciations seem to be roughly
coincident with Scandinavian, especially Danish, place names, so it could
be.

Curious though, that the medial "ch" vanished in Southern English as well;
you'd expect it to survive either side of Danish N.  England, in for example
Scotland and Somerset.

By "Southern English" I mean traditional varieties, not the standard
Southern and Estuary types dominant today.  They are derivatives
of Mediaeval East Midland dialect, which was a Danish-influenced N-S hybrid,
hence its popularity and influence.

Paul
Derby
Danelaw,
England

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Language history

Paul, Sandy, Dan,

I am not sure when the development started, but perhaps it is relevant to
note that under certain conditions Modern Danish varieties do "funny things"
with intervocalic and final /g/. For instance, depending on the variety it
becomes a glide or "disappears" in words like *meget* ([ˈmɑːɪd̥] ~ [mɑːð̞̩])
'very' and *dag* ([d̥æː] ~ [d̥̥̥aʊ̯]) 'day'. Note also alternation here: *
tag* [ˈtˢæːˀ] 'roof' -> *tagterrasse* [ˈtˢɑʊ̯tˢaˌʁɑsə] 'roof terrace'.  Note
also the words for "law" in both languages:

Old Norse *lǫg* > Modern Danish *lov* [loʊ̯]
Old English *lagu* > Modern English "law" [ɫɒː] ~ [ɫɔː] ~ [ɫoː]

If this was at least at an early stage of development it would have very
well stimulated, influenced or reinforced the development in English.

And again we need to bear in mind that written language usually does not
reflect such developments in the spoken language or it does so at a later
time (though neither in English nor in Danish).

Seattle, USA