LL-L "Language history" 2009.07.30 (01) [EN]

Thu Jul 30 14:44:22 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 July 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: John Le Grange <dad1943 at live.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Language history" 2009.07.27 (02) [EN]

Roger has had me fascinated with his inputs on language history.

Looking at the examples I saw a number of  vowel movements in the various
dialects and this started me thinking about the a/e vowel swings in
Afrikaans and the other Lowlander Languages. I know Nederlands has upon
occassion chosen the a form where German and Afrikaans have an e form e.g.
Nederlands:Paard (Horse) Afrikaans: Perd German: Pferd. But in others the
reverse is true Afrikaans: Gars Nederlands: Gerst (Barley). The in Afrikaans
there are varient forms - Aardappel/Erdappel for Potato, Laagte/Leegte for
the hollow in undulating ground.

I would like to ask some of our more learned contributors whether these
variations occur in some of the dialects spoken in our lowlands areas.

John le Grange