LL-L "Etymology" 2009.06.03 (04) [EN]

Thu Jun 4 14:10:29 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 June 2009 - Volume 01

From: Roger Hondshoven <rhondshoven at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.05.26 (05) [EN]

Roger Thijs raised the topic of " *Verkavelingsvlaams,
Verkavelingsnederlands". In my opinion the main feature of this kind
of (reprehensible)
substandard Belgian Dutch, being neither standard Dutch nor dialect,
consists of using the inversed verbal forms for the second person, which
usually sound something like 'gade mee, doede gij' (ga je , doe jij). I
pride myself that my native tongue, Tiens (and also nearby Hoegaardens) is
the only dialect in all of Brabantish that has been spared this kind of what
I like to call "kreupel Nederlands". We say "gaat ge, doet gij" , *[Äx«] [d«
U xEù]* **I'm qu**ite sure a lot of people might want to disagree. I'm
looking forward to your opinion and remarks.
PS I hope the phonetic text will prove to be legible.

Regards,

Roger Hondshoven
* Â
As well the Dutch *verkaveling* as the French *lotissement*Â can mean both:
1 - Dividing a land in smaller parcels intended for the construction of
houses (in an organized way and supported by the investments in roads and
utilities)
2 - The section of a town that was created by such a procedure.
In Belgium we use "Verkavelingsvlaams" for designing Belgian Dutch colored
by some regiolect. The term "Verkavelingsvlaams" was lauched I think by a
journalist Geert van Istendaal. Since in such development area people from
different villages buy land and construct houses, the native village dialect
of the area is not known nor learned by the new immigrants and the
regiolect-color helps to keep a cosy armosphere;
Local soap TV series often use some form of Verkavelingsvlaams.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotissement
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verkaveling is incomplete and gives only the
first meaning
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verkavelingsvlaams