LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.06.04 (07) [EN]

Thu Jun 4 19:31:21 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 June 2009 - Volume 07

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.06.03 (04) [EN]

> From: Roger Hondshoven <rhondshoven at yahoo.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.05.26 (05) [EN]
> Roger Thijs raised the topic of " *Verkavelingsvlaams,
Verkavelingsnederlands". In my opinion the main feature of this kind
of (reprehensible)
substandard Belgian Dutch, being neither standard Dutch nor dialect,
consists of using the inversed verbal forms for the second person, which
usually sound something like 'gade mee, doede gij' (ga je , doe jij). I
pride myself that my native tongue, Tiens (and also nearby Hoegaardens) is
the only dialect in all of Brabantish that has been spared this kind of what
I like to call "kreupel Nederlands". We say "gaat ge, doet gij" , *[Äx«] [d«
U xEù]* **I'm qu**ite sure a lot of people might want to disagree. I'm
looking forward to your opinion and remarks.
PS I hope the phonetic text will prove to be legible.
*

I must say the pressure to a kind of Verkavelingsvlaams is quite strong in
some area's. I'm native (West)-Limburgish, lived in my home town for 33
years (with brief interruptions in Essen-Heisingen, Germany and in
Asper-Gavere, East-Flanders, as well as in the week for many years as
student in Leuven), and 27 years in Mortsel, a suburb of Antwerp.
Since Antwerpish people consider their dialect a metropolitan world
language, the pressure is very strong for contamination of local Dutch with
Brabantish elements: *Hedde gij...  Zallekik....* etc.
When back in Limburg from time to time, my Limburgish is unchanged, but when
I speak less formal Dutch, it still has residual Antwerpish elements and
Limburgish people do not like that (so they correct me).
I remember before, when I still lived in Limburg, my parents had had a
similar reaction against an aunt of mine who moved to Antwerp in the late
fourties.

Regards,
Roger