LL-L "Etymology" 2009.06.24 (01) [EN]

Wed Jun 24 15:01:07 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 June 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Dear Lowlanders,

I'm intrigued by the Scots verb *coff* 'to buy' (ealier also 'to trade'),
past tense *coft*.  An earlier variant of 'to buy' in Scots is *cofe*, with
a long /o/, for the nominal form of 'buy', 'purchase', 'trade', 'bargain'.

Clearly it is related to words for 'to buy' in other Germanic languages. The
/f/ occurs in German *kauf-* and Yiddish *kouf- ~ koyf*, both meaning 'buy'.
Middle German has *kouf-*.

According to the *Oxford English Dictionary*, *coff* is likely to come from
Middle Dutch *côp(en)*, namely from the past tense of older (and still
dialectical) Dutch *koft(e)* (now mostly *kocht(e)*) or the past participial
form, which however, would be *gekoft* (now *gekocht*).

In Low Saxon, the past tense form of *kop(en)* is *köff ~ koff* and the past
participial form is *köft ~ koft* (Middle Saxon *gekoft* ~ *gecoft*).

Of course it stands to reason that a Dutch connection be assumed,
considering Dutch shipping trade with Britain and Dutch-speaking immigration
to Britain, especially to Wales and Scotland. However, we mustn't forget
Saxon-speaking Hanseatic trade with the English and Scotland.

Earlier Scots also has the *coff* or *coffe* for 'dishonest rogue', also
'hawker', apparently from the canting word *coff* 'man', 'guy'. Might this
be connected with the word for 'buy' or 'trade', perhaps in the sense of
'trading partner'?

What cant? Is it Thieves' Cant (a.k.a. Rogues' Cant)? I suppose so, because
it has *cove* 'man', 'fellow'. I can't find a possible equivalent in Romany,
the most obvious source.

Any ideas on any of the above?

Seattle, USA