LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.05.03 (02) [E]

Sun May 3 17:38:47 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 May 2009 - Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.05.02 (04) [E]

Luc, Karl, Reinhard and all;

Re the issue of waiters taking away plates, I'd say that in 90% or more pubs
and restaurants in England and Scotland, the staff will ask you if you've
finished.  No particular phrase: "Can I take that for you?" "Everything OK
here? shall I take the plate?", even "are you done here?" etc.  They see it
as being helpful; as Ron says: they assume you don't want a dirty cold plate
sat in front of you, and in my case at least, they're right.

And while I can't remember for certain, I'm pretty sure I've had the same
thing in Germany and Austria.

As to the specific use of "working on" food, I'm not sure I'd assign such
deep meaning to it, whether in the USA or elsewhere.

Interestingly, as a kid I was taught that the polite thing to do when
finished eating was to place the knife and fork together on the plate, in
the "6:30" position as it were.  That was supposed to signal "I'm done".
The custom has probably vanished now, though I still do it anyway from
habit.

Paul
Derby
England