LL-L "History" 2009.05.15 (01) [EN]

Fri May 15 18:24:54 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 May 2009 - Volume 01

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2009.05.14 (01) [EN]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com <mailto:sassisch at yahoo.com>>

> Subject: History
>
> Hello, Lowlanders,
>
> There is a two-part video documentary of a historical "reenactment"
> experiment. It follows a group of people traveling along what is known as
> the /Ossenpadd/ (ox(en)/cattle path/route) in Low Saxon, the /Ochsenweg/
> (ox(en) way/route) in German and /Hærvejen/ (the military way/route) in
> Danish, in Danish also as /Studevejen/ (the cattle way/route) and as
> /Oksevejen/ (the ox(en) way/route). This is an ancient trade route between
> north and south, between the central-to-north Jutish city of Viborg in
> Denmark and Hamburg in Northern Germany, ending (or beginning) in the part
> of Hamburg that is still called /Ossentoll/ in Low Saxon, translated as
> /Ochsenzoll/ in German, both meaning "ox(en) toll". This route runs through
> the old lands of the Jutes, Angles and Saxons (named in the north-to-south
> sequence). I suspect that it is the same route that Danish Vikings used when
> they attacked Hamburg (which after the defeat of the Saxons was used as a
> Frankish outpost from which to Christianize = integrate both Vikings and
> West Slavs); hence probably the name /Hærvejen/.

The Ossenpadd was a wide net of routes and secondary routes and extended
also to areas south of Hamburg. Bremervörde for example was also part of the
route (crossing the Oste river there).

Marcus Buck

----------

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
 Subject: LL-L "History"

Beste Ron,
You wrote:

There is a two-part video documentary of a historical "reenactment"
experiment. It follows a group of people traveling along what is known as
the Ossenpadd (ox(en)/cattle path/route) in Low Saxon, the Ochsenweg (ox(en)
way/route) in German and Hærvejen (the military way/route) in Danish

We use these words "heirweg" and "heirbaan" quite often too in Brabantish
and Flemish for a road that was formerly used by troops. More often than
not, Roman troops, I guess.

You did score with these vids Ron. Thoroughy liked them. Even though the
people in it make me think of (neo-)hippies, I liked the concept very much.
There's another medieval route that I find quite interesting: the Via
Francigena:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Francigena

Since it starts in Canterbury, I guess the subject is not off-topic *s*. I
find old trade and pilgrim routes to be just as important, if not more
important than today's internet. At the same time, let me make this clear: I
feel I can never stress the importance of the internet enough.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle