LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.11.11 (02) [EN]

Wed Nov 11 16:45:21 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 November 2009- Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.11.10 (01) [EN]

An interesting case of the relative status of Romance or Classical words
versus Germanic has arisen recently here in Britain.

Jaqui Janes, mother of British soldier Jamie Janes who was killed in
Afghanistan made the news after she complained about Prime Minister Gordon
Brown's "scrawled" hand-written letter which she said mis-spelled his name.
Brown rang Ms. Janes, who later commented that "although he must have said
sorry 20 times, he never once offered an apology"....

She clearly thinks that "Offering an Apology" has some sort of status or
solemnity that "saying sorry" clearly lacks.

Paul

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Lexicon

Thanks for sharing that, Paul.