LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.15 (06) [EN]

Mon Nov 16 01:45:41 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 November 2009- Volume 06

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.15 (03) [DE-EN]

Hello Jonny, Sorry this in English, my German is just enough to ask for the
road to the train station,

I think I might be able to help you. In Dutch we have next to the words
etgras,etgroede and etland which clearly fall under the meaning that you
have found, also the  word “etmaal” meaning twice eb and twice flood, a
period of 24 hours. So wouldn’t the meaning be the grass that sticks up its
head, grows if you will, within twenty four hours after mowing?

Hope this helps,

Jacqueline BdJ

Seattle WA
----------

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
 Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.15 (05) [EN]

 Beste Luc,

very short because it's very late:

What's the Saxon verb for a cow chewing her cud?
We say "edderkäuen" (iterum!!??;-)), I've heard "adderkäuen", too; DE
"widerkäuen".

Allerbest, good night!

Jonny Meibohm
Lower Saxony, Germany