LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.17 (04) [EN]

Tue Nov 17 19:00:31 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 November 2009 - Volume 04

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.17 (02) [EN]

 Dear Heather,

you wrote:

*>>My question is: why do you have ' Nach-' and not 'Efter- when both
English and Lowland languages seem to >>have retained the '-math' bit.*

In LS we have "*achter*" for areal and "*nao*" for chronological sequences.
It's the same like in German "*hinter*" vs "*nach*": 'Er läuft *hinter* mir
her' vs 'Es ist schon *nach* 19:00 Uhr'. This would be in LS 'Hey löppt *
achter* mii her' vs 'Dat is all *nao* Klokk soyben'

*>>[One of the things I like about this forum is it makes you look up word
origins you have never *
*>>thought about.]*

I fully agree!

With kind regards!