LL-L "Tradition" 2009.11.27 (03) [EN]

Fri Nov 27 23:22:35 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 27 November 2009 - Volume 03

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2009.11.27 (01) [DE]

>From Heather Rendall  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk
Hannelore Hinz  wrote about  Rummelpottgehen

Lovely story, Hannelore and not one I had heard before.

I looked up the English word 'rumpus' which was the first possible
connection I could think of and found in the OED that its origin is not
known.
As it means ' a disturbance' I wonder whether it is linked and that such a
tradition existed here in England.

The only 'noisy' tradition I am aware of is 'egg clapping' in Wales where
children visit farms with home made 'egg clappers' pieces of wood strung
together to make a rattle and only stop making a noise when the farmer gives
them each any egg. An Easter tradition, obviously.
I found a similar tradition in Central France in the Midi where children
'chase Lent away' by bringing clappers into church.

So is the tradition based on frightening away bad spirits or just marking
the end of one celebration and perhaps moving into another?

Intriguing!
Heather
Worcester UK

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Tradition

Hi, Heather!

I think we "established" once before that this Low Saxon verb *rummel-* is
related to English "rumble". As a noun, *Rummel* can been 'rumble' (e.g. of
thunder), '(big) to-do', or 'fun fair' (American '(traveling) carnival').

*Rummelpott* (literally "rumble pot") for "friction drum" is the Low Saxon
equivalent of Dutch *rommelpot* (next to *foekepot* ), Limburgish *foekepot*,
German *Brummtopf*. Danish has imported *rummelpot* and *rumlepot* from Low
Saxon, clearly via Southern Jutish, since the same custom exists in Southern
Jutland.

Seattle, USA