LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.09.07 (01) [EN]

Mon Sep 7 17:20:36 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 September 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.08.28 (01) [EN]

 > From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
> Subject: LL-L Language varieties
> De Standaard of today has a full page on the progression of Brabantish as
local form of Dutch in Northern Belgium.
> Here is a log of the page in pdf from the subscribers-only part of the
website:
> http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/brab/brab.pdf
> ... - The official Dutch in Belgium has some local vocabulary and
particularities. I would define it as "*Belgian Dutch*". ....
> ... - A special regiolect developped over a large area, under influence of
migration towards houses on new land divisions, and it got the name "*
Verkavelingsvlaams*". It found its ways in TV soap and tends to develop
towards an kind of accepted standard. It is not based on "Flemish" nor
"Limburgish" dialects but largely on "*Brabantish*" dialects. This is where
the article is all about.

Where the previous url referred to the central "*regiolect*" "*
Verkavelingsvlaams*", De Standaard of today had a page on "*Belgian Dutch*",
called a "*natiolect*" in the article..
I logged it at: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/gordel/bn.pdf
See some language samples in the blue box on the page.

Interesting is also the new language-political view:
Before dictionaries had "*Standaard Dutch*" as a rule, with some words
marked as "*Z Nl*" (Zuid-Nederlands, Southern Standard Dutch, referring to
Belgium and incidentally including the Netherlandic provinces South of the
big rivers).
The new approach will mark as well "*Belgian Dutch*" as also "*Netherlandic
Dutch*" on an equal basis. Most vocabulary obviously will remain common and
not be marked in one or another sense.

The pdf pages are from the (paying) subscribers-only part of the website of
De Standaard. I will remove the pages from my tmp directory after a few
days.

Regards,
Roger