LL-L "Literature" 2009.09.10 (02) [EN]

Fri Sep 11 01:59:30 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 September 2009 - Volume 02
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Literature

Fowk,

Ablow ye’ll find aynce agane a newlins buirded Lawlanner’s postin’, a yowt
fer help. Mibbie ye missed it whan Ah posted it no lang syne. Gi hir a
walcome!

Guidwull,
Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA

----------

From: Allison Weiss <poplarlanearts at gmail.com>
 Subject: Robert Burns Lullaby ? [EN]

 On July 30th, 1904, Berceuse (Lullaby), a song for voice and piano by

Argentine composer Julián Aguirre, was published in the magazine Bibelot.

The French text is as follows:

Dors bel ange en qui j’espère

Douce image de ton père

comme en un divin miroir;

Il me semble encor le voir

Un rayon vermeil se joue

sur ta lèvre et sur ta joue:

j’ai seché tes yeux en pleurs

En t’offrant ces belles fleurs

Et tandis qu’en ton sourire

l’innocente paix respire

Perle humide en tes cills d’or

Une larme brille encor

Une larme brille encor

And translated (poorly) into English as something like:

Sleep beautiful angel in whom I hope

Sweet image of your father

like a divine mirror

I see myself in you

A cherry rouge / ray plays

on your lips and on your cheek

I dried your weeping eyes

By offering you these beautiful flowers

And there amidst your smile

and innocent peaceful breaths

a wet pearl rests on your golden eyelashes

A tear still shines

A tear still shines

I am trying to find the Robert Burns original. I have searched this digital

collection already:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18500/18500-h/18500-h.htm#letterCXC

Can anyone direct me to a Burns expert that might help me to solve this
mystery. The French translation may have been a loose adaptation of the
Burns original and I wouldn't be surprised if this came from a longer poem

and was adapted out of context. I also wouldn't be surprised if Aguirre
pulled this from a collection that erroneously attributed this poem to
Burns. It may have been written by someone else.

My sincere thanks to anyone that can give me a clue or two.

Allison L. Weiss
Illinois, U.S.A.

http://allisonweiss.com

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Allison!

It's my pleasure to welcome you to the neighborhood on behalf of all
Lowlanders.

That is certainly a fine website you have there, not to mention the fine
voice. I was quite taken aback by your interpretation of "Dona, Dona," which
I only know as a Yiddish song.

Good luck with your search!

Seattle, USA