LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.18 (04) [EN]

Sun Apr 18 22:23:18 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 18 April 2010 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.18 (02) [EN]

In German, we have the word "Kodderschnauze" for a person of somewhat
questionable eloquence; "kodderig" is mostly used for a sort of pert and
impolite answers: "eine kodderige Antwort", suggesting that a person that
answers in this way would rather not have spoken at all and tries to end the
conversation by rendering it disagreeable. Anyway the word is used not for
persons, but for language. But all this is High German; I have never heard
it in Platt. Why not?

Hartlich

Marlou

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Etymology

The Low German (i.e. Low Saxon and Low Frankish) etymon
**kod-*(representatives of which have entered German by way of
Missingsch, as seen
in the examples Marlou gives above) may well be related to German (**kūt-*>) *
*kauz-* ‘to make a barking sound’, ‘to whoop’, whence *Kauz* (a group of
types of owls).

Middle Rhenish German has *kauz-* and Middle Saxon has *kūt-* for ‘to bark’,
‘to yap’, ‘to woof’. Apparently, the noun *Köter* for ‘cur’ (which German
seems to have imported from Low Saxon) is related to this group.

Jonny:

2. *kod(d)eren/köddern* (Middle Low German), meaning DE 'schwatzen, töricht
reden, babbeln (auch eines Kleinkindes)', E 'to babble (of a baby, too)', NL
'babbelen' which word probably is related with LS 'küren, kören'. In Modern
German 'kodderig, koddrig' means 'schlecht; unverschämt, frech; übel', E
'bad; nasty; sick', NL 'misselijk; onbeschaamd; onwel'.

* *

I suggest that the first has to do with “yapping” in the sense of ‘to
babble’, also with ‘to bark’ in the sense of barking at someone (hence being
rude), and that the second has to do with making retching sounds (which is a
type of barking if you wish). The basic meaning of Low Saxon *kodderig* is
'unwell', ’sick (to the stomach)’, ‘queasy’, ‘nauseous’.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com