LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.08.11 (02) [DE-EN-NDS]

Wed Aug 11 17:27:51 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 11 August 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.08.10 (06) [EN]

Luc, I can confirm your suspicions about the West-Vlaams-Low Saxon
connections with a nice little story which I was to observe many years ago
when I traveled with my mother, a truly Holsteener Deern from Nienborstel,
just south of Rendsborg in Sleswick-Holsten, for a trip to Brugge.

While walking through the beautiful mediaeval city my mother started more
and more listening to what the locals were saying to each other and found
that a lot of what they said she understood, and she understood a great deal
more than e.g. in Amsterdam. Eventually, she went into a shop and decided to
simply speak our local Low Saxon dialect to the shop keeper, telling him "ik
heff min voet wundlopen un bruk een plaaster (ik hef min veut woendlopen on
broek een ploaster)" and the shop keeper immediately understood showing her
different patches, she chose the one she wanted, he told her the price and
there was never a misunderstanding. I, as a child, was quite surprised that
far away from home we could speak our local Low Saxon dialect while in many
places in between nobody had understood us and some would look down to us as
backward peasants, in particular since Low Saxon knowledge has disappeared
from most Northern German towns.

I have no doubt that there is a connection, even some place-names appear
similar because there is a small village near Bordesholm in the Rendsborg
district which is also called Brugge (although in German spelling with the
Umlaut). Heist (Knokke-Heist) is another example, which also exists in
Holsten. Perhaps it would be interesting to investigate whether even more
place-names share similarities.

Groeten,
Helge