LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.08.12 (01) [EN]

Thu Aug 12 16:46:03 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 12 August 2010 - Volume 01
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.08.11 (04) [EN-NL]

Beste Luc,

Du schreyvst:

>> Which brings me to another feature that Western Flemish may have in
common with Saxon. Speakers from Holland (and Antwerp by

>> extension ;=)) often not only tend to speak loud, but also...a lot. In
Lower Saxony, I had the impression that just like in Western

>> Flanders, natives were more silent and often kept a low profile. Then
again, this may also have something to do with the contrast

>> between city dwellers and countrypeople. However, when I was in Helsinki
(OK, maybe not exactly the Lowlands, but still a capital), >> folks were
speaking very slowly and very quietly. If ever, they spoke, that is ;=). I
guess our man in Helsinki, Antero, may know the

>> reason why.

This is a very interesting observance. I even would add that they're talking
much faster, too.

I have discussed this phenomenon with Piet Bult from Stellingwerfs,
according women in special. He strictly denied it, though I'm pretty sure
about it. There are a lot of Dutch families living around here (and every
year more Dutch people like to spend their holidays at our sea side), and it
is a matter of fact that you can hear a difference in loudness between a
native inhabitant of our region and them.

It's less obvious with men in loudness but their speed is nearly equal ;-).

We've got the same in Germany: people from big cities like Berlin ("Berliner
Schnauze") or Hamburg ("Reesbüdel") as well as people from the centre of the
"Ruhrgebiet" are famous for talking fast, a lot and much louder than rural
people in Northern Germany. I even would say that, for our criterions, some
of them are intolerable talkably and for that sometimes even don't find
friends around here.

mvg

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Language varieties

Luc, Jonny, everyone,

I believe we are merely dealing with differences based on population density
here. People in densely populated areas generally interact more and have to
be more assertive and competitive, while people in the country have more
alone time and don’t rely as much on verbal communication.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>